The Sharp Donor Advised Fund
Simplify your giving for maximum impact
What is a Donor Advised Fund?
A Sharp Donor Advised Fund (DAF) allows you to optimize your giving by providing an immediate tax deduction with the option of immediate or deferred distributions of gifts on your timetable to Sharp and other charities that you choose.
Advantages to You
The Sharp Donor Advised Fund allows you to create a charitable investment account that simplifies your giving while offering several benefits:
- Immediate tax deductions
- Avoidance of capital gains tax when gifting appreciated assets
- Online access to account balance and distribution history
- Tax-free growth - making more funds available to support the causes you care about
- A simple grants-request process
- Ability to give anonymously if desired
- Sharp HealthCare Foundation manages all administration and
record-keeping at no charge**
**Does not include investment management fees assessed by the investment manager, Union Bank, which is .75% of account balance.
How it Works
Contribute cash, appreciated stocks, real estate or other assets to Sharp HealthCare Foundation and receive an immediate tax reduction. Select from three investment options and watch the funds grow tax-free. Then request grants for any Sharp program and for other charities you choose.* Sharp HealthCare Foundation will distribute the grants on your behalf, maintain the records and provide you with statements and updates on how your gift has made a positive impact on quality health care in San Diego
Sharp Donor Advised Fund at a Glance:
- Minimum to open a new account: $50,000
- Minimum addition to account: $1,000
- Minimum grant size: $500
- Minimum of total annual distributions to any Sharp entity or program: 50%*
- Donor(s) may name one successor advisor - must be a child of the donor(s)
- DAF will terminate at the earlier of:
- 3+ years of inactivity
- Account balance of less than $10,000
- Death, incapacity or resignation of the donor(s) or their successor advisor
*DAF's of $1,000,000+ may adjust the minimum contribution to Sharp at the approval of the Sharp HealthCare Foundation CEO.
Where Do I Begin?
To explore how a Sharp Donor Advised Fund can help meet your charitable goals, speak to your Foundation Representative or contact Linda Spuck at Linda.Spuck@sharp.com (858) 499-4816 or Norm Timmins at email@example.com (858) 499-4816
The Pension Protection Act of 2006 restricts several types of distributions from Donor Advised Funds, including any gifts that provide benefits to the donor (e.g. event tickets) or creating legally binding pledges of DAF assets.